Green Building is the practice of increasing the efficiency with which buildings and their sites use and harvest energy, water, and materials to reduce the impact on human health and the environment through better design, constructing, operation, maintenance and removal (if necessary). It is the complete building cycle.
Green roofing materials are those that
- Have less embodied energy (i.e. the quantity of energy required to manufacture and supply to the point of use—a product)
- Are more durable and have longevity
- Are made from recycled and/or recyclable materials
- Reduce heating and/or cooling energy loads
- Are easier on the budget in terms of life-cycle cost
HB GreenStar’s premiere green roofing product, SteelRock Stone-Coated Steel metal roofing, in conjunction with a radiant barrier underlayment, Atticfoil, utilizes the “full envelope system” resulting in proven energy efficiencies for homeowners.